Getting ready to get a new website? It’s an exciting and sometimes confusing investment, especially if you’re new to the website design world. Before going to a web designer for a consultation or to talk over options, there are a few things to think about. If you put some thought into the process before-hand it’ll run much smoother. Website design and development is complex, and coming into the process with some forethought will make you and your designer happier. So here are some things to think about before starting the website design and build process:
- Understand what it is that you want. Web designers are not mind readers (unfortunately, sometimes it’d make the job easier) so you need to come in with a basic idea of what you’re looking for. What is the purpose of your website? Is it to sell stuff, inform people, or generate a customer base? Take a look at other website that have been designed by the web designer to see what their style and personal touch look like. Coming in with some ideas of what you like and what you don’t will give them a clearer picture of what you want.
- Realize that this is going to take time. You’re not going to have a quality, professional, well-designed site live in 24 hours. Be realistic and ask for a timeline. This is a process that involves a lot of back and forth between you and your webs designer because you want to be sure it’s just right. Anything worth doing is going to take some time and effort, so be patient!
- Your site will need hosting and maintenance. Does your web designer offer these things, or just design? If you come to Fusion Group USA based in Grand Junction, CO and Phoenix, Arizona you can choose from a few hosting and maintenance packages to keep your site up, live, and fresh.
- You get what you pay for. If you’re lured in with a “free” website, be sure to read the fine print and check out all of the additional costs that you might be racking up. A website should be considered an investment, and you want to make sure you’re paying for quality. Shop around a little and make sure you’re not getting yourself into something over your head. There are some companies that will charge you outrageous monthly fees that are not even associated with the design and hosting portions of the website, so choose wisely.
- Think about what you want on your website. Do you have content, images, videos, etc.? If you have existing content to put on your site, this may save you money on copywriting. Copywriting can be a great investment though – a person who is a skilled writer with an understanding of SEO can be a huge benefit to your website in the long-run because high quality content should be a top priority.
- Do you have a brand? If so, your brand should remain consistent with your website. Explain to the designer your brand image, logo, slogan, color scheme, font preference, etc. to ensure that you have a strong consistency with your website and marketing collateral.
Starting a new website takes quite a bit of vision! Understanding exactly what you want and what the designer can offer you is important to keeping the process going. Be sure to check out the designer’s previous work so you have an idea of their style. Our portfolio is available on our website, so you can check out our work – Fusion Group USA has some talented web designers! We work with you every step of the way and understand the market in Grand Junction, Colorado and Phoenix, Arizona so we can tailor your site according to your business needs.