Repetition in Direct Mail: Secrets to Success
Direct mail is a powerful tool, but far too many businesses fail to understand that direct mail is not a one-and-done campaign. Success depends on repetition in direct mail because multiple touches are the key to any successful campaign – in either marketing or advertising.
If you’re spending your hard-earned money on list acquisition, graphic design, printing, and postage; then don’t let it go to waste by jumping ship before the real results start to roll in. Engaging in direct mail repetition will not only increase your chances of conversion, it will also set you apart from the competition that refuses to go the extra step.
With so many businesses failing to properly utilize direct mail, I thought it would be helpful to run through two example campaigns – one typical (read: bad) and one good. I’d also love to hear how you’re using direct mail for your business, so leave a comment down below.
Direct Mail Mistakes
I’ll start with what not to do – but what most people do anyway. They pay for a list – hopefully aimed squarely at their target audience demographics, but you never know with this group. Then they find the cheapest designer to slap together a postcard that looks straight out of 1992. And not only is the design dated, but the copy is poorly crafted and focuses on features (rather than benefits – but more on that later).
This cheapy postcard gets blasted out to the list and the business owner sits back and waits for their business to explode. But, spoiler alert, it never happens. Those direct mail postcards end up in the trash and quickly forgotten.
Direct Mail Success
On the other side of the spectrum, businesses are using direct mail to impact their audience and convert new customers regularly. How are they doing this? They understand the power of repetition in direct mail.
If you’re looking to get more out of your direct mail use, consider following their pattern:
- Acquire a quality list. There’s no spray-and-pray here, a good direct mail list is targeted with both demographic and geographic information. Work with your direct mail provider to determine exactly who you are targeting.
- Get a professional design. You have a fraction of a second to catch the attention of your audience. That means your design really needs to pop. A good designer/printer will work with colors, copy, placement, and textures to get customers’ attention.
- Craft excellent copy. So much direct mail is poorly written and boring, stand out from that crowd by investing some time in your copy. If words aren’t your strength, then hire a professional copywriter to help you out!
- Focus on benefits. So many business owners talk a lot about features (what they offer) rather than benefits (what your customer gets). The distinction can be subtle, but it is an important one. If you’re pitching home refinances don’t talk about your interest rates, talk about lowering their
- Repeat, repeat, repeat. Did I say repeat? The first mailer is just an introduction, the second is the getting-to-know-you stage, the third is for closing the deal. This isn’t an exact science, but you need multiple touches to convert. Just remember that every touch doesn’t have to be direct mail, you can also incorporate phone calls, emails, and internet ads.
Direct Mail Help
I know that is asking a lot of business owners. Especially when there are hundreds of direct mail providers out there claiming that a single mailer will reap huge rewards. But that’s not how we operate at Fusion Group USA. We want our customers to understand exactly what they’re getting into.
And all this isn’t to dissuade you from sending a single direct mailer – there are times when that is a good strategy (contacting existing customers, offering seasonal discounts, etc.). But if you’re sending cold-contact direct mail, then your best bet is to follow the advice above.
So, if you are willing to invest the resources in a quality direct mail campaign, we are here to help! We cover every step in the process: list acquisition, graphic design, copywriting, postage, and follow-up efforts. We’re experts in using repetition in direct mail campaigns. Don’t settle for some shady provider than just wants your money – use a company that wants to help you grow your business! Contact us today to learn more.